Squaw Valley has released a detailed statement in response to the the news that coliform bacteria and E.coli were found in the drinking water at the upper mountain of Squaw Valley.
The water has been consistently treated since the issue was initially reported to the Placer County Department of Environmental Health. Three of the four wells that service the upper mountain have low levels of coliform and no E.coli according to Wesley Nicks, the director of Placer County Environmental Health.
Upper mountain restaurants will remain closed until the water issue is resolved, and skiers are not permitted to drink the water at this time. Currently, no health issues are reported, and top to bottom skiing is still allowed.
Liesl Kenney, the public relations director for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows issued this statement regarding the water safety situation:
In October, a very heavy rain storm affected several of the Placer County water systems. The weather lead to the inundation of a water system at Squaw Valley. The system had been upgraded during the summer at Gold Coast and High Camp. The rainfall caused the water system to be contaminated. No other water systems were affected, and the contaminated water was never available to the public.
As soon as the issue was detected, Placer County Environment Health and Squaw Valley Public Service District were contacted. Other water safety experts were also contacted. As a result, necessary steps have been taken to address the safety of the water. However, Squaw Valley will not return to regular water usage until it is definite that the water is safe.
Consumer safety is of the utmost importance to Squaw Valley and the issue has been taken very seriously. Squaw Valley will update guests when expert confirm that the water issue has been resolved.